After playing tour guide for Debbie and George over their two week visit, I was ready to step up my game and take my skills to the next level…this time around, we would have FIVE visitors all at once! Along with my parents, Kelly (sister) and Bill and Jill (aunt and uncle) also made the long trek over to visit us in China. To make the week more special, it was the last week in Beijing for G and I. Showing our family around our favorite parts of the city during our last week there was the perfect way to say goodbye.
After a week in Beijing, we were all off to Thailand together, Phuket to be exact. It was AMAZING, and so wonderful to experience such a beautiful place with our family.
Here’s the top 10…enjoy!
1. Our weekend trip to Xi’an to see the Terracotta Warriors! The pictures don’t do it justice – it’s such a spectacular and mind-boggling site to see.
The Big Wild Goose Pagoda
Trekking along the Xi'an city wall...
2. The Great Wall! We ventured out onto a new trail (Charlie, our driver, promised us this was the way to go!)…it was TOUGH - this portion of the wall has not been rebuilt, so it's quite easy to lose your footing. After a few small spills on the trail (I won’t point any fingers, Mom :) ), we made it. Of course, we had to mark the occasion with a celebratory glass of wine. Cheers!
3. Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City – where my sister and I became a spectacle. No joke, there were people lined up waiting to take a picture with us. I finally told her we just need to walk away, as we would be there all day if not. Classic.
4. The Summer Palace and a wander through Olympic Park.
5. LAST day in Beijing! Feast at Jindingxuan, our favorite dim sum restaurant, followed by drinks at the live music venue, Jianghu Bar. It was absolutely perfect…they played all the classics (in English, haha), so we were happily (and loudly!) singing along. Such a fun sendoff.
6-10. The last 5 belong to Phuket…Our day sailing around the Phi Phi Islands, the most delicious Pad Thai we’ve ever had, lounging at our beautiful and lush resort, poolside massages, and the list goes on. I’ll let the pictures do the talking…
Sailing around the incredible Phi Phi Islands...
Final sunset and tuk tuk ride :(